How to Embrace your Body Image
Posted on behalf of NHF Intern & Victory for Women Community Member: Dejah
Body image is a hot topic in the media as there are many stigmas surrounding what is beautiful and/or acceptable. Becoming comfortable with who you are can be a difficult task but here are a few tips on how to overcome negative body image and stereotypes.
- Appreciate all that your body can do. Every day your body carries you closer to your dreams. Celebrate all of the amazing things your body does for you—running, dancing, breathing, laughing, dreaming, etc.
- Keep a top-ten list of things you like about yourself—things that aren’t related to how much you weigh or what you look like. Read your list often. Add to it as you become aware of more things to like about yourself.
- Remind yourself that “true beauty” is not simply skin-deep. When you feel good about yourself and who you are, you carry yourself with a sense of confidence, self-acceptance, and openness that makes you beautiful. Beauty is a state of mind, not a state of your body.
- Look at yourself as a whole person. When you see yourself in a mirror or in your mind, choose not to focus on specific body parts. See yourself as you want others to see you — as a whole person.
- Surround yourself with positive people. It is easier to feel good about yourself and your body when you are around others who are supportive and who recognize the importance of liking yourself just as you naturally are.
(Tips from: The National Eating Disorders Association https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/learn/general-information/ten-steps)